Party with this Great Value Ice Cream Cake Recipe!
One of the best parts of any special occasion or birthday celebration is the cake. It is even better if there is cake with a side of ice cream but, it’s extraordinary when the cake is made with ice cream.
As a child, whenever I asked for an ice cream birthday cake and got one, I was over the moon. One thing about them though is that they can be a bit pricey. What if I told you that you can make a delicious and festive ice cream cake at home for $10?
That’s right; you can experiment with frozen desserts for less, with the variety of Great Value Ice Cream flavours for under $5 (1.5 L tub). Read on for the recipe and directions below.
It’s a Sweet Bonanza!
Darasak, the girls and I didn’t have to wait for a special occasion to make this cake. We love to have cookouts and BBQs with friends and family pretty often, so there are many opportunities for us to use this recipe.
This cake makes for a great dessert after enjoying yummy burgers with all the fixings. We love the delicious toppings and this cake is layered with ice cream sandwiches, creamy Great Value Birthday Party Ice Cream, and crunchy, fudge cookies. This cake is a decadent finish to any meal, right?
The best part is that it’s a great make-ahead dessert and can be stored frozen and in an airtight container for up to a week and until you’re ready for your next shindig!
Let’s Make It!
You don’t need to be a baker or dessert chef to make this, nor do you need a special pan. Simply flip a cookie sheet or baking pan upside-down, line it with plastic and prepare the toppings! This will act as your guide and base for the rectangular cake.
The first step is to place the Great Value Birthday Party Ice Cream in the fridge to soften for 30 minutes. Finely chop the Great Value Fudge Crème Filled Sandwich Cookies and mix in the chocolate topping.
Once the ice cream is softened, then you start to layer away! Remember, you need to layer quickly; this is ice cream after all.
Layer the ice cream, cookie mixture and ice cream sandwiches. You wrap it and place it back in the freezer, finish it with Great Value Frozen Whipped Topping and rainbow sprinkles!
Birthday Bonanza Cake
- 4 cups Great Value Birthday Party Ice Cream
- 8 Great Value Fudge Crème filled Sandwich Cookies finely chopped
- ½ cup chocolate flavoured topping
- 8 Great Value Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 4 cups Great Value Frozen Whipped Topping thawed
- 2 tbsp. rainbow sprinkles
- Place ice cream in fridge to soften for 30 min.
- In a small bowl, mix cookies with chocolate topping.
- Invert a rimmed baking sheet (to act as a guide for cake layout) and lay 2 sheets of plastic wrap next to one another overlapping slightly to create a base to wrap the cake. In the centre of the plastic wrap, working quickly, lay 4 ice cream sandwiches side by side lengthwise to create a rectangle base Spoon 2 cups, (about 4 ½ cup scoops) ice cream over top, lightly pressing to flatten evenly to edges of sandwiches with a spoon.
- Spoon chocolate mixture over top, spreading to within ½ - inch of edge. Repeat ice cream layer and top with remaining ice cream sandwiches. Fold plastic wrap over to completely seal the cake. Lightly press ice cream sandwiches down to flatten and adhere to ice cream and press ice cream in to ensure cake maintains its rectangular shape. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Unwrap cake, spread evenly with thawed whipped topping and decorate with sprinkles. Place in freezer until whipped topping is firm, about 2 hours. Remove to a serving tray. Slice and serve immediately.
Time to Party!
With this recipe, you can now have your ice cream cake and eat it too! The best part of it all is that the cake tastes great and costs less.
Plus, it’s kid-friendly. The girls loved it and said that it was even better than the store-purchased ones. The sound of saving some cash and happy kids, well, that makes this mom super happy! Not to mention, it was pretty delicious. I am not going to lie; I definitely enjoyed a slice or two! Shh!
Grab That Dessert Chef Hat!
With summer on its way, you know that ice cream will be on your shopping list! So be sure to pick some up and get the kids in the kitchen to experiment with Great Value ice cream. You never know, you may just have a pastry or dessert chef in your midst.
For some decadent summer dessert inspiration visit Walmart.ca/recipes.
Have you ever made your own ice cream cake?
Let me know, til then–cheers m’deres!
Note: This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada as part of the Walmart Great Value Ice Cream program. In exchange for this post, I have received perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.
Nancy Polanco is a freelance journalist and editor of lifestyle blog Whispered Inspirations. A social media junkie, a travel-lover with insatiable wanderlust and an aficionado for fun gadgets, good eats, and entertainment. You can find her on Instagram and everywhere else under @WhispersInspire.