So, today I’m 28 years old.
The number alone astounds me, simply because I don’t feel 28. I know that those further along than me may roll their eyes at my astonishment because 28 is still relatively young. That’s why I am a firm believer that you are as old as you feel.
But, I can’t help but feel like I’m 22 but, in all honesty…
Some days I feel 50!
Well, for one, I am truly grateful that I’ve made it to 28–just months ago, I was told that had I not sought medical help, I wouldn’t be here.
I wouldn’t be writing this post.
I’m so glad that I am here because my girls and husband are my life and the idea or thought of not waking up to them every morning is unbearable!
Regardless, I am super happy to celebrate another year of life, no matter how good or bad it was.
I thought I’d share 28 things you may not know about me, so here goes:
- I never thought that I’d be able to work in health care. The good, the bad and the ugly. It’s just as challenging but rewarding as I’d imagined.
- My hubby is REALLY my best friend. He is the only person that I can truly be myself with without judgment, share everything with and genuinely have fun together, no matter what.
- I think that I have really changed as a person, in so many ways, for the better. Things that bothered me before, don’t bother me now.
- I adore my family. My mom, my dad, brother, and sister. We cannot go a day without a phone call, text or a weekly lunch/shopping date. I couldn’t make it through what I have without them all.
- I am afraid of bean sprouts. Go ahead, laugh it up. They creep me out and look like little things with tails.
- Hi, my name is Nancy and I am darkchocaholic.
- I hate salt. It’s the devil. Now, pepper, I put that ish on ERR thang!
- I do this weird little moving thing with my mouth when I’m writing! You’d have to see it and I get embarrassed when you notice! I only do it because I’m trying to concentrate!
- If you missed my tattoo post, you’d be quite shocked that I have lots of tattoos.
- I may look serious at first glance but, I’m really a giddy, happy-go-lucky kinda gal. Really!
- For those of you who have never met me, I’m literally 5’0. Yes, that short.
- Yessir. I am Michael Jackson’s biggest fan. I love that man so much and miss him dearly.
- Unabashedly, I am a tomboy at heart. I adore cars, I love driving them, gawking at them–drooling over them. You get the picture.
- I drive stick and miss it. These days, I’m stuck behind a mini-van.
- I had hoped to get a Honda CBR and ride. But, that was before I realized how utterly dangerous that’d be and when you have kids–you know your mortality.
- I am very loyal. I respect those who respect me and I don’t like inequality.
- So, I used to sing in a band.
- Believe it or not, I used to box and trained under my daddy who was an amateur boxer.
- I haven’t had a drop of alcohol since 2008. Wow.
- Baking is a passion of mine and I enjoy doing it.
- Blogging has changed my life in so many ways and has allowed me to meet such amazing people.
- At Blissdom, I was one of the lucky girls to meet Jordan. Yeah. Jordan Knight. That one! AHHH.
- I find it quite entertaining that I was interviewed about head lice by the Wall Street Journal. Totally not a fan, I hate those buggers! I mean the lice folks!
- I’m one of those crazies that will sing and bust a move anywhere. In the car, at a store… You hear something weird, that’s probably me.
- I really, really don’t like cats. (Please no hate mail.)
- I once spent a night a haunted house. It was scary.
- I am addicted to Instagram. Badly. I always tell Hubby–“Did you Instagram dat sh*t?” and he’s like “Hellll yeaaaah.” And vice versa.
- I agree with TI and you should too–when he says, “Never mind what your haters say, ignore them til they fade away.” Because when you pay them no mind, they DO.
Well, there are always so many things you look back on and think, “I wish I knew what I know now back then…” Things would be so different.
But, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.
Everything that happens makes you into the person you are today and like the great MJ once said:
“If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.”
So, the lessons that I’ve learned along my 28 years have been valuable. Every day that I am blessed with is a gift. There will be good days, GREAT days and awful days but, I am happy to be here to enjoy the good and fight on through the bad!
Thank-you guys, yes– YOU, for another year of your friendship, great conversations, thoughtful words and many, many laughs along the way!
Can you believe Santa will be here in 2 days?
Have you been naughty or nice?
Let me know, til the–cheers m’deres,
Nancy Polanco is a freelance journalist, lifestyle content creator, and editor of Whispered Inspirations. She is a proud Mom to Gabby and Michaela, and wife to Darasak. Having worked as part of a health care team for almost a decade, Nancy is happy to be back to her passion. She is a contributor to the Huffington Post, TODAY’s Parents, and an Oprah Magazine Brand Ambassador.