7 Habits For a Happy Life.
It’s easy to let life get away from you. You find yourself feeling out of control and without the time to fix it. Really, it’s not that hard; carve out some time and employ these 7 habits for a happy life:
- Exercise for YOU. We all know that exercise is good for us, but you don’t have to look to the fit-bunnies and be envious; find a form of exercise that works for YOU. Just get out there and get moving – you’ll find that the mental benefits actually outweigh the physical benefits and you’ll be feeling great in no time.
- Cultivate deep friendships. Friendship not only makes you feel connected and ensures you’re always having a good time, studies have shown that deep friendships also improve cognitive health and longevity. So, you out for that glass of wine with your friend – it’s actually good for you!
- Give back to the community. You can choose to volunteer in a number of ways; locally, nationally, or internationally. Whether spending time at your childrens school, volunteering at the nearest food bank, or taking some of your holiday time to help build a school in a developing country, the time and energy you put in will be returned ten-fold in the good feelings that come your way.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is restorative, and curative; your body replenishes itself while you’re slumbering both physically and mentally. It doesn’t have to be the traditional 8 hours at night – if you can manage well on less then don’t stress it – if you can fit in an afternoon siesta it’s probably even better. Prepare a calming night-time ritual and relax your way to a restful sleep that will make you feel better, and more alert, the following day.
- Eat with health in mind. Your diet can affect more than just your physical body; it can also affect your mental health. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains and plenty of water just makes you feel better all over. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t indulge in your favorites, just eat a mostly balanced diet so that those indulgences are treats that you will really enjoy.
- Enjoy your family. Time, it seems, is fleeting; take the time to enjoy your family at every stage. Don’t be wistful for time gone by or with it to be over already – enjoy every moment as it occurs while understanding that it is these memories that will hold you steady in later years.
- Take time for yourself. These days we’re all stretched so thin with family, and work, and social obligations – make sure to take time out just for yourself. Whether it be an early morning yoga class, a stop for coffee on the way home from work, or a late-night TV session with your favorite indulgent show – you’re worth it and should take the time.
What do you do for yourself?
Let me know, til then–cheers m’deres!
Nancy Polanco is a freelance journalist, lifestyle content creator, and editor of Whispered Inspirations. She is a proud Mom to Gabby and Michaela and partner and best friend to Darasak. Having worked as part of a health care team for almost a decade, Nancy is happy to be back to her passion. She is a contributor to the Huffington Post, TODAY’s Parents, and an Oprah Magazine Brand Ambassador.