Sphero SPRK Edition.
We already live in a digital world and in fact, we are headed towards a future where coding will be the common language. It will be just as important as reading and writing and our kids will be the ones to use it every day.
You know that we are big fans of Sphero, as we have tested out the Sphero Darkside and the Sphero Ollie in the past. The SPRK is one that we were very excited to try out simply because Sphero has turned the love kids have for their tech toys into love for learning and creation. That just cannot be beat.
What’s In the Box?
- Sphero SPRK Edition
- Inductive charging base
- Genuis kit with a protractor, notebook and pencil
- Quick Start guide to get you rolling problem free
- New Sphero SPRK app + free games available for download in the App Store, Google Play, and Windows Store
- Power Adapter (110V – 240V compatible, USA and International style plugs)
What Will You Create?
The SPRK app experience lets you give your robot the orders with visual blocks representing code – Sphero’s own C-based language called OVAL. You can save your own programs and go back to them at any time. Once you input the code, you will immediately see the connection between the program you and your child created and how the guts of your Sphero work and react. Sphero SPRK Edition will inspire a love of robotics, coding and STEM principles all through play. With ultra-bright LED’s you can change the color and the possibilities are endless.
Take a Peek Inside.
One of the most amazing things to see is how the inside of the Sphero SPRK works. Simply by inputting commands! Gabby came home from school one day and she told me about coding and that they had spent time coding games at school. She caught the bug and is obsessed with coding!
When she played with the SPRK, she was blown away! Not only can you code and use app to move it but, you can go freestyle just by flipping your device and just play! So, you have the best of both worlds. With its electric motor, it can go up to 4.5 MPS! The SPRK can move!
- iOS and Android Compatible
- Goes over 4.5 mph (2m/s) Durable polycarbonate shell
- Built-in LED glow Bluetooth connection (100 foot range)
- Inductive charging (over 1 hour of play on a full charge)
- Over 30 apps available that offer numerous ways to play
- Hackable and programmable internal robot
- App updates that introduce new features and gameplay
- Automatic firmware updates
Get the Family Involved.
We had a lot of fun learning code and in fact, Gabby was the one teaching us. Controlling it was pretty easy with the code, I think I had more trouble controlling it on freestyle. But, not to worry–it can handle the bumps with its polycarbonate shell. The SPRK is great for the whole family and it allows for creativity when it comes to creating programs for it. Gabby wants to teach Mimi too, although she is young she is eager to learn!
SPRK Lightning App.
Program your robot
- Download the Lightning Lab mobile app and program your robot utilizing block-based building.
- Save your work by creating an account and jump between the app and web platform.
- Share your programs with the community by making them public.
View and share activities
- Browse creative activities made by Sphero and educators around the world.
- Create your own and share it with the community.
- Examples of activities include light painting and mimicking planetary motion with your robots.
- Setup a virtual classroom with student logins and assign activities, track progress in real-time, and review student work.
- Sign-in to Lightning Lab with your Clever account (more sign on services will be available in the future).
- Create a private activity and administer it to your class without sharing it to the entire community.
The Perfect Toy for the Gadget Lover.
If you are looking for a toy to give to the child in your life this holiday season (or any time of the year), this one would be it. Most especially if they love gadgets and love to code. Even if they want to begin, it’s for any level and this not only makes learning fun but, effective.
It is also something they can learn at their own pace and still play with the robot on freestyle to take a break! Though, I think kids catch on very quickly and will be coding in no time! This is also a great gift for seasoned programmers, we know you are out there!
Ready to WIN?
One lucky Whispered Inspirations reader will WIN a Sphero 2.0 SPRK Edition robot! This contest is open to CANADA only and opens on December 16th, 2015 and closes on midnight on December 31st, 2015.
For more information about the Sphero SPRK, visit www.sphero.com and connect with them on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. They also have a thriving community that you can join, you can read more about it, here.
What do you like most about the Sphero SPRK?
Let me know, til then–cheers m’deres!
Nancy Polanco is a freelance journalist, lifestyle content creator, and editor of Whispered Inspirations. She is a proud Mom to Gabby and Michaela, and wife to Darasak. Having worked as part of a health care team for almost a decade, Nancy is happy to be back to her passion. She is a contributor to the Huffington Post, TODAY’s Parents, and an Oprah Magazine Brand Ambassador.